Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hope and Inspiration

Ellicia and Geoff - my beloved friend and her beloved husband. A local and tangible example to me that while the hardships in your life may shape you, they don't define you and that good things happen to good people.

While watching "Jim McKay: My World in My Words" on HBO just now, hearing him talk about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team beating the Russians and the 1972 Munich games and the tragedy of the Israeli athletes, I was awestruck. To have not only lived through those moments, but being the person sharing that news with the world? Amazing and heavy. My favorite moment of the show wasn't seeing the US team pour onto the ice, but was what he said about his wife's smile,
"Our marriage has certainly been an unusual one, but from the beginning , quite frankly, our love for one another has only grown stronger. Now that I don't travel, we talk from early morning until bedtime about many little ordinary but important things. Her specialties are our kids and grandchildren. Mine are politics, liberal-democratic, and sports. And still she listens. And her smile. That incredible smile is still a thing of wonder to me."
That's what I want someday. Someone, when looking back at our life together, has that one thing about me that they still think of as a thing of wonder.

No comments: