Thursday, May 24, 2007

Feminist-ish rant.

Tipped off by Shmee at HLOG, I read about this little tidbit of ickiness...

No way to treat a lady: Red Wings fans get passionate (and nasty) when someone picks against their team, but the real anger should be aimed at Detroit's owner.

Please tell me why people are still this think this way? For real?! It's insane in this day and age that someone would actually send that to her. And mean it.

I like to think of myself as a forward-thinking woman. And even though I live on the "conservative" side of my state and aspire to be a housewife and mother of a small hockey team someday, it's hard to believe that there are people out there who still believe that's all women are good for and actually vocalize it. (Let alone are literate enough to use a computer and compose an e-mail)

(Okay, so, my Grandpa A. thought that way, but he was an old, stubborn, southern mule -may he rest in peace- and he only expressed those thoughts to the male members of the family because he also while he thought women should be at home, he respected them for everything they did there. Oh, that and he knew that his crazy red-headed granddaughter could and would tear him to shreds in an argument.)

I guess the point of my post is that people are asshats. Which we already knew. I knew more about hockey than 90% of the guys I went to high school with - hell, I know more about hockey than 70% of the guys I hang out with now... Just because I'm a woman - an extremely feminine woman at that - doesn't mean that I don't know the game or that I don't have valid and informed opinions about it. Also, just because I'm not a fan of a particular player or team doesn't mean I can't see their strengths and weaknesses.

Hockey means a lot to me, it's a big part of my life. It's entertainment, it's fellowship, it's emotional, it's a family. But I don't let it take my life over to the point of verbally assaulting another human being.

No comments: