Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Playoffs of days gone by...

I remember it like it was yesterday. I tuned in to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final between the Dallas Stars and the Buffalo Sabres on June 19, 1999. I, of course, was cheering for Stu Barnes of the Sabres.

I had a firey hatred for the Stars, almost equal to the hatred I had/have for the Wings. Not only were they the favorite team of the guy that dumped me a few months before, but their star player was Brett Hull. Cocky, loudmouthed, goal scorer. Normally I would've been throwing my panties his direction (well, if he was better looking...), but there's something about the man that rubs my fur the wrong way.

My eyes were glued to the TV and I was oblivious to everything going on around me. A boy started talking to me. I was too engrosed in the on-ice action to notice how attractive he was. How was I supposed to know that he would end up being my first love and we'd spend the next 3 years together? but that's neither here nor there.
"What are you watching?"
Still focused intently on the game, I answered, "Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Third Overtime. Stars are up 3-2 in the series."
"What's the score?"
Insert my 'wtf' face here, "It's Tied."
"Obviously." He laughed.
"One-One."
"Who are you cheering for?"
"Sabres. Hate the Stars."
Catching on that I'm not a huge talker during OT, "Great. Me too."

It was right about then that Brett Hull scored the game-winning 'goal.' I stood up and shouted at the TV, "NO! NO! HIS FOOT WAS IN THE CREASE! NO GOAL! HIS FOOT WAS IN... they're hoisting the cup. No. NO! SUCK IT! Suck it, Brett Hull!" (and yes, any of you who are familiar with the former WWF, I included the DX motion of crossed arms with the pelvic thrust)

It was right then that he proposed marriage to me. I believe his words were, "You know hockey, hate the stars AND you watch wrestling? You are quite possibly the perfect woman! Someday you will marry me."

Oh, how things change in 8 years. I learned a lot from him (one thing being to never date a Blackhawks fan) but haven't spoken to him in about four years. I hear he's in Texas - I think San Antonio. I no longer have a hatred for the Stars, in fact, I want to shrink Marty Turco down to a size where I can carry him around in my purse all the time, and the only time I have to see Brett Hull is when he's having his little lovers quarrells with Ray Ferraro on the NHL on NBC with Papa Clement there to keep them from having make-up sex right there on the newsdesk.

No comments: