Tuesday, June 26, 2007

After the Rain....

(nothin like a little Nelson to start the day, hey?)

Ok, while starting this entry (no joke, as I finished typing that first line) which was going to chronicle the rest of my parents' adventure in DraftLand last weekend I got the call that a very close family friend who has been battling cancer for the last 15 or so years passed away, so I figured before I did anything I'd give her a little memorial shout-out.

Linda Slick, 59, passed away on June 24, 2007.
"Slick" for short, beloved history teacher, treasured friend and talented vocalist.

And Saver-from-the-Carnies. Saver-whatzit-whoozle? Let me explain...

The setting is 1988... It was a hot August day in Eastern Washington and Ma McPhizzle and her BFF took their combined 3 children to the Benton-Franklin County Fair. While walking through the carnival, a precocious and curious Mini McPhizzle wandered off. Slick, who worked with BFF, was also at the carnival and noticed a curly-haired nugget wandering around alone - to her shock, it was McPhizzle (who she always called "Merk" to ruffle the little girl's feathers). She grabbed her hand and started to look for Ma McP. For the rest of her life, every time Slick and Merk saw eachother, she would remind the red-head that she had saved her from being taken away with the Carnies and if she didn't behave herself, she'd take her back.

Love you, Linda. I promise I'll never run away at the Carnival again.

No comments: